PHPBB3 StatusMail?
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen :: Nächstes Thema anzeigen  
Autor Nachricht
Anev

Titel: PHPBB3 StatusMail?
Verfasst am: Mi, 30 Mai 2007, 05:28
Beitrag
Antworten mit Zitat

Hey boris. I hope I am not duplicating any posts but I searched and didn't see any posts on the subject. However, my German could kill small children in fits of laughter so ... Rolling Eyes

I ran in to your StatusMail mod about six months ago and can't live without it. My forum viewers adore the emails and with the new PHPBB3 that is out (in RC release) I was curious if you are going to be doing any updates to this great mod for it?

Thanks for your time and making such a great mod.

--Anev

Rang:
boris

Titel: (Kein Titel)
Verfasst am: Do, 31 Mai 2007, 10:11
Beitrag
Antworten mit Zitat

I'm not planning to upgrade to phpBB3 too soon as my forum is a heavily modded one with loads of own hacks everywhere.

I guess it'll take a long time to fix phpBB3 the way I like to have it.
I'll check it out as soon as the first couple of versions have passed, as I expect the first RCs to be quite bug-infested. If I find phpBB3 to be worth a try, it'll probably still take a couple of months until I made myself a version that is worth converting.

So, unfortunately, I won't take (or find, in the first place) the time for doing an upgrade, as long as I don't need StatusMail for phpBB3 myself.

Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Rang:godmode methusalem 3. platz professioneller Sportangler Profi-Winzer (7x Hamm) Arcade-Meister, Rang 16 rainbow-cup
Anev

Verfasst am: Do, 31 Mai 2007, 15:58
Beitrag
Antworten mit Zitat

boris @ Thu, 31 May 2007, 02:11 gab folgendes von sich:
If I find phpBB3 to be worth a try, it'll probably still take a couple of months until I made myself a version that is worth converting.

hehehe.... I can completely understand. Your forums are nicely done and it looks like you have most all of the features (plus many more) that are already a part of PHPBB3. In your case, I could see upgrading as something much later down the road.

If you don't mind, I wouldn't mind trying to upgrade the mod for you in the interim. I'd be happy to post the results for you and see if I can get it ready for you to decide on it's future fate on PHPBB3. I was going to try to adopt it for my forums anyway and honestly, I've looked at a couple other mods that are similar and even thought about creating my own. Sadly, none are as well done nor as useful as yours. Starting from scratch when I know an existing mod already exists seems pointless.

I don't know how far I'll get but I'd be willing to give it a shot as it's something I really need.

--Anev

Rang:
boris

Verfasst am: Do, 31 Mai 2007, 22:19
Beitrag
Antworten mit Zitat

Anev @ Do, 31 Mai 2007, 16:58 gab folgendes von sich:
I don't know how far I'll get but I'd be willing to give it a shot as it's something I really need.

Go for it !
Take whatever you need from my code and make it a phpBB3-MOD, if you like. When I'll eventually upgrade to phpBB3, there's less work for me to do big grin

I had some ideas to enhance StatusMail, but never found the time: the removal of BBCode was on top of my list so you wouldn't have the preview in your mail full of quotes and text with loads of markup that won't display correctly in a mail.
Also phpbb.com told me to update the building of the mail and put the loop for the new posts in the template (that's why they rejected StatusMail for their MOD-database), but I never made it.
(I'm just telling you, so once you're rewriting the MOD you could add these features, if you like - I don't know if I ever will.)

Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Rang:godmode methusalem 3. platz professioneller Sportangler Profi-Winzer (7x Hamm) Arcade-Meister, Rang 16 rainbow-cup
Anev

Verfasst am: Do, 31 Mai 2007, 23:00
Beitrag
Antworten mit Zitat

Not a problem, it gives me a reason to finally sit down and try to figure out what the mind-set of those developing PHPBB is. I've put it off for years, writing your own code is one thing but the real mastery is learning and writing someone else's code.

I'll see what I can do. I've already converted over the control system from the user's perspective to the new format and updated a few of your routines to pull and locate what needs to be emailed so they fall in line with the new PHPBB. I've yet to really get to the admin side nor the disbursement of the actual emails. On the bright side, I did see they updated and changed the whole email system dramatically since the other version though that means some hefty changes to your code, it might work so as to change it to meet 'their' standards. Rolling Eyes

I'll see what I can do about the BBCode, I know that one kept biting me in the current version and I hacked in a few fixes already but it was just that ... hacks.

I'll keep you updated and I'll see what I can create OR ... run screaming from the room. Laughing

--Anev

Rang:
boris

Verfasst am: Di, 05 Jun 2007, 12:21
Beitrag
Antworten mit Zitat

Anev @ Fr, 01 Jun 2007, 00:00 gab folgendes von sich:
the real mastery is learning and writing someone else's code.

Tell me about it. Sometimes I'd rather write my own instead of digging into some weirdo's work Wink

Anev gab folgendes von sich:
I'll keep you updated and I'll see what I can create OR ... run screaming from the room. Laughing

Have fun big grin

Anev

Verfasst am: Di, 05 Jun 2007, 17:21
Beitrag
Antworten mit Zitat

boris @ Tue, 05 Jun 2007, 04:21 gab folgendes von sich:
Tell me about it. Sometimes I'd rather write my own instead of digging into some weirdo's work Wink

Have fun big grin

Laughing Actually, I have had some great fun updating the code. It's mostly a complete rewrite to get everything to work in the right place on this new system they have. But I think you'll like how it turns out. I've almost finished the entire thing, I am going to try and finish the actual email routine today then go back through and fix any bugs I can find.

There is one thing that comes from working on others code, you learn little tricks and ways of going about things that you'd never think of before. I've learned at least two new tricks from your code. That's always a fun thing ... if you are a coder/scripter that is. Smile

So ... hopefully a bit later this week, I'll have a fully functional system and I'll put it on a test forum so you can peruse it and see what you think. I've made some behind the scene changes, mostly to save myself from updates when they go to RC2 or a final release of PPBB3 but otherwise it works just like it has always with only a few changes here and there (and a new look).

--Anev

P.S. The email system should meet PHPBB's requirements, the BBCode stuff, I am still working on. My goal is to find a happy point between removing it and keeping it in the emails. I should also have an upgrade system in place by the time I'm done, I figured since I was here, I might as well put that in.

Rang:
boris

Verfasst am: Do, 14 Jun 2007, 21:56
Beitrag
Antworten mit Zitat

Anev @ Di, 05 Jun 2007, 18:21 gab folgendes von sich:
I've almost finished the entire thing

Not bad Wink
In the meantime I checked out the German phpbb-support-forums and discovered that most of the new posts are about phpBB3 ... on the one hand it seems that everybody has waited for it and is willing to convert faster than I thought, on the other hand most posts are just bug reports, so I guess I'll really wait some long time before I dare to convert ...

Anev gab folgendes von sich:
I've learned at least two new tricks from your code.

Hopefully not two "how not to do it"-tricks big grin

Anev

Verfasst am: So, 08 Jul 2007, 23:15
Beitrag
Antworten mit Zitat

Well, I did finish the entire convert and have a good working copy that I use on my personal RC1 forum almost three weeks ago. But then I got tired and decided I needed a break. I've yet to test it on an RC2 forum.

It does have a convert system so you can convert an existing 2.x PHPBB StatusMail system to use the new system but I really need to test that more before I say it's complete. There are a few odd bugs I'm hoping that later this month I will have a chance to look at them and then I'll send you a link to check it out in both a test forum and live forum.

Oddly enough, I found that your SQL queries pretty much remained the same but the code around them had to be adjusted to work with the new system. However, I was able to make the install extremely easy. You just edit three files in forums, two of which are insert one or two lines, the last is simply fixing the PHPBB system mailer to send out HTML and Plain Text which is bizarre that they didn't include that since it is just a natural addition that works so easy with their current mail routines.

The new PHPBB Forums are ok, they have some interesting and nice features which I enjoy but overall, they can all be done via mods that already exist so converting to the new format for some is probably not a big deal since you can already do the same thing the new forums do.

--Anev

Rang:
boris

Verfasst am: Di, 17 Jul 2007, 13:15
Beitrag
Antworten mit Zitat

I still didn't find the time to check into phpBB3, but I'm definitely looking forward to it more than I used to as you obviously got StatusMail working Wink

I also would have expected the developers to add HTML-mails in the new version - beats me why they didn't do it ... anyways, I'll keep an eye on the development of phpBB3, as soon as they go beyond "RC"-status, I'll install a local version to see what it can and even more: what it can NOT do, to check what MODs still need to be converted or rewritten for phpBB3 to keep the "look and feel" of what I've set up now over the years ...

keep me informed Smile
Greetings, B.

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen    beeForum Foren-übersicht » hal9000 » mod support Seite 1 von 1
Gehe zu:  

ähnliche Beiträge
Thema Autor Forum Antworten Verfasst am
Keine neuen Beiträge Update auf phpBB3 mit Userpix? Stemmi mod support 7 So, 19 Apr 2009, 07:28 Letzten Beitrag anzeigen
Keine neuen Beiträge phpBB3 boris werkstatt 2 Mi, 19 Dez 2007, 00:13 Letzten Beitrag anzeigen
Keine neuen Beiträge Upload Pic für phpBB3 miwie mod support 2 Mo, 17 Dez 2007, 20:17 Letzten Beitrag anzeigen
Keine neuen Beiträge StatusMail hat keinen Inhalt, nur einen komischen An... staszek.g mod support 5 Di, 11 Dez 2007, 11:16 Letzten Beitrag anzeigen
Keine neuen Beiträge Anpassungs- und Ergänzungsvorschläge für StatusMail staszek.g mod support 1 Do, 29 Nov 2007, 19:16 Letzten Beitrag anzeigen

Schreiben: nein. Antworten: nein. Bearbeiten: nein. Löschen: nein. Umfragen: nein.
phpBB © phpBB Group | impressum