Benutzername    Passwort    Autologin    
  Passwort vergessen       Registrieren  
beeForum Foren-übersicht » hal9000 » mod support
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen Hervorhebung entfernen

How to save the resized picture's Exif?
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen :: Nächstes Thema anzeigen  
Autor Nachricht
dc95

Titel: How to save the resized picture's Exif?
Verfasst am: Do, 20 Apr 2006, 12:35
Beitrag
Antworten mit Zitat

UPLOADPIC resized the picture, and the picture's EXIF was lost , how to save it?
Rang:
boris

Titel: (Kein Titel)
Verfasst am: Do, 20 Apr 2006, 12:55
Beitrag
Antworten mit Zitat

The only solution for now is to tell your users not to upload pictures larger than the maximum dimensions you set in the ACP or allow bigger dimensions (watch your forum-layout), if EXIF-data is to be saved.
Or don't use UploadPic's resize-function and let some software resize your pictures prior to uploading.

It is possible to read and write EXIF-data with PHP, to do that you'd have to install extra libraries which provide those functions. (PEL is one).
The problem is that PEL needs PHP 5 to run and as a rough guess 95% of all webs don't provide that version now. Also most users use EasyMOD to install MODs and just ignore anything a DIY-instruction may say (e.g. to install a special library), they all end up here, swearing at me why I can't make it easier for them ...
So to really make that work and easy to install for anyone, I'd have to program all of the EXIF-functions with PHP 4 again and put it directly into UploadPic - and I don't have time to do that, especially when I think about how many people would really need that feature (UploadPic has been downloaded several thousand times in the last six months and you are the first to ask about EXIF-data).

Sorry.

Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Rang:godmode methusalem 3. platz professioneller Sportangler Profi-Winzer (7x Hamm) Arcade-Meister, Rang 16 rainbow-cup
dc95

Verfasst am: Do, 20 Apr 2006, 13:35
Beitrag
Antworten mit Zitat

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.exif-read-data.php

(PHP 4 >= 4.2.0, PHP 5) is ok.

Thank you.

My forum is a digital camera forum, so saving the Exif is very important.

English is not my mother tongue, maybe my expression is not clear enough, sorry.

Rang:
boris

Verfasst am: Do, 20 Apr 2006, 13:47
Beitrag
Antworten mit Zitat

dc95 @ Do, 20 Apr 2006, 14:35 gab folgendes von sich:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.exif-read-data.php (PHP 4 >= 4.2.0, PHP 5) is ok.

That is the function to read EXIF-data from image-files ... but when UploadPic resizes a picture, a totally new image is created - what I'd need would be the function exif-write-data and that, unfortunately, does not exist.
That's why the external library (with all problems described above) is needed.

dc95 gab folgendes von sich:
My forum is a digital camera forum, so saving the Exif is very important.

I understand, but I don't really see another solution than not having UploadPic resize the pictures ...

Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Rang:godmode methusalem 3. platz professioneller Sportangler Profi-Winzer (7x Hamm) Arcade-Meister, Rang 16 rainbow-cup
dc95

Verfasst am: Do, 20 Apr 2006, 14:06
Beitrag
Antworten mit Zitat

Maybe you can save the Exif in text when UploadPic resizes a picture, and then show it below the resized picture in post selectively.
Rang:
boris

Verfasst am: Do, 20 Apr 2006, 14:30
Beitrag
Antworten mit Zitat

dc95 @ Do, 20 Apr 2006, 15:06 gab folgendes von sich:
Maybe you can save the Exif in text when UploadPic resizes a picture, and then show it below the resized picture in post selectively.

I could save the EXIF-data in a file but showing the file-content in the post selecively would mean a massive update of both, UploadPic and phpBB, which is definitely not worth the effort (no matter how desperate you're needing it, sorry Smile). Especially updates in the phpBB-code will make any further update in phpBB harder to perform which will most likely keep a lot of people from installing UploadPic in the first place.

As I'm planning an update with all pictures in the database instead of scanning the directory-content for files all the time, I'd rather write the EXIF-data to the database as well, but even then I could not automatically put it into the post (all the time, not talking about "selectively").
Displaying the data in the ACP would be no problem at all then, to put in in the post I'd have to create more "input"-links that will insert the image and the EXIF-data and probably more extras that I can't think of now ...

So anyway - I put the reading of EXIF-data to my ToDo-list but I still have to come up with a great idea of displaying the data in the post, right now anything I can think of is too much work for the little gain.
Either way, the first step I'll take is to make UploadPic have its own database-table for easier and faster access to the pictures and right now I can't even find the time to do that.

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen    beeForum Foren-übersicht » hal9000 » mod support Seite 1 von 1
Gehe zu:  

ähnliche Beiträge
Thema Autor Forum Antworten Verfasst am
Keine neuen Beiträge upload picture hack install problems wijcc mod support 2 Mi, 13 Jun 2007, 16:46 Letzten Beitrag anzeigen
Keine neuen Beiträge table with info around each picture belgian_dude mod support 4 Di, 18 Apr 2006, 22:26 Letzten Beitrag anzeigen

Schreiben: nein. Antworten: nein. Bearbeiten: nein. Löschen: nein. Umfragen: nein.
phpBB © phpBB Group | impressum